Yard Jockey Specialist
Are you ready to solve transportation mysteries, drive trucks, and be the face of Amazon Transportation? As a Yard Specialist, you will be a vital member of Amazon’s Transportation Operations Management team. Yard Specialists communicate with carrier partners, control the accuracy of trailer yards, drive terminal tractors, and ensure packages can get in and out of Amazon Fulfillment Centers with ease.
Things to know about working in an Amazon Trailer Yard:
- We're committed to providing one of the safest work environments. This means you wear a reflective vest, stretch, provide safety tips, and recognize each other for working safely.
- We have a relaxed, casual dress code (as long as your attire meets our safety requirements).
- As a Yard Hostler you will:
- Correspond with multiple shipping companies and demonstrate comprehensive understanding of shipping systems, requirements, rules, and obligations to support yard organization and minimize delays.
- Conduct daily coordination with fulfillment center operations departments, transportation peers, and carriers to ensure all trailers arrive and depart on time with zero defects.
- Maintain the accuracy and integrity of the trailer yard through meticulous attention to detail and daily yard audits.
- Consolidate data from multiple sources to support daily workflow and business needs.
- Operate a spotter truck, moving trailers between trailer yard and dock doors, and logging all trailer moves to maintain accurate yard inventory.
- These are the essential physical functions of the position to be performed with or without accommodation:
- Stand and/or walk throughout a minimum 8 hour shift
- Lift and/or move packages, most weighing 35 pounds or less
- Regularly bend, lift, stretch, and reach below the waist and above the head
- Climb in and out of the spotter truck numerous times per day; hooking and unhooking trailers
Benefits include health care (medical, dental, vision) coverage starting on day 1 as well as 401(k) with company match, and holiday/overtime pay. Relocation assistance is not provided.
For consideration, a resume must be uploaded to your profile! Successful candidates will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug screen, a criminal background check, and a motor vehicle record check.
For basic qualifications, we require:
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- You are at least 18 years old, and authorized to work in the United States
- You are able to work 40 hours/week, and overtime as required
- 1+ year of experience working with computers and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- A valid and active driver’s license
For preferred qualifications, we prefer:
- 2+ years commercial driving experience in a vehicle of similar size, weight, and controls as a terminal tractor and proficiency in backing trailers into dock doors and parking slips
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with diverse audiences
- Ability to follow and enforce safety measures and policies to all who enter the yard, including vendors and senior team members
- Willingness to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
- A commitment to build strong, collaborative relationships with colleagues and outside vendors
- An existing Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or the ability to obtain CDL.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.