“We actively seek leaders who can invent, think big, have a bias for action and deliver results on behalf of our customers. These principles look very familiar to men and women who have served our country in the armed forces, and we find that their experience leading people is invaluable in our fast-paced work environment.” - Jeff Bezos
At Amazon, thousands of veterans and military spouses are driving innovation and raising the bar on customer experience. On a daily basis, those with military backgrounds are able to apply their knowledge, skills, and leadership abilities in a wide variety of careers – influencing change across the globe. We believe a career change from the military to a civilian role at Amazon is a natural transition because of the robust programs Amazon offers to help employees succeed, including a vast internal network of veterans that offer mentoring, learnings, and support.
The IT Support Engineer will be responsible for utilizing his/her skills to provide assistance to the operations team in resolving technical problems within the Fulfillment Center that cover a multitude of technical disciplines. This position is the second level of support for the operations of the Fulfillment Center and serves as a resource to Technical Support Technicians while also acting as a representative of the IT department to internal customers. Amazon seeks individuals who are willing to Work Hard, Have Fun, and join us in making Worldwide History.
The IT Support Engineer must have:
- An excellent understanding of computers (both hardware and software) and a demonstrated willingness to learn and apply new technology.
- Possess superior technical aptitude, written and oral communications skills and the ability to deal effectively with people in a wide variety of situations.
- Possess strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability. Previous experience exercising high levels of initiative, judgment, and diplomacy required.
- Proven ability to operate in extreme high pressure situations, successfully handle multiple priorities and possess a high level of discipline while remaining flexible.
- Possess superior people skills dealing with all levels of a team environment up to and including presentations and explanation of projects to upper level management.
- Regular activities include: network engineering and troubleshooting, project management, mentorship of Technical Support Technicians, data cabling, systems administration in a variety of software and hardware environments, telecom/PBX administration, root cause analysis in problem solving, and assistance in managing the daily activities of the department.
- A willingness to relocate as career advancement opportunities throughout the company become available is strongly desired.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Expertise in one or more specialized areas of IT such as Microsoft Administration, Linux Administration, or Cisco IOS (CLI)
- Advanced Troubleshooting skills in a multi-user high pressure environment
- Understanding of networking concepts such as DNS, DHCP, Email, HTTP, SSL, OSI Model, and TCP/IP protocols and applications
- Experience with Data Cabling / Computer Facilities maintenance
- Proven skills in PC repair, troubleshooting, deployment, and liquidation
- Ability to stand/walk for 10-12 hours per day
- Willingness to work flexible shifts and scheduling including nights, weekends, and holidays
- 2+ years of service in the armed forces
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or IT related field.
- Microsoft MCSE, MCITP Systems Administrator (Active Directory)
- Cisco CCNA certification
- Advanced Linux systems administration skills
- Strong troubleshooting skills of very complex systems
- Ability to explain complex IT concepts in simple terms
- Ability to manage high priority projects
- Proven ability to work successfully with limited supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Comfortable communicating in person and via phone/radio with peers, management, contractors and vendors.
- Ability to travel up to 25%