Summary: The primary purpose of this position Purchasing Agent is to complete various tasks, usually clerical in nature, related to the inward movement of goods, supplies and raw materials into an organization.
- Place orders with suppliers or vendors and ensure documents are in order, with terms and conditions being clear.
- Perform data input functions including but not limited to purchase orders for all business units, new item set up, maintenance of existing item numbers, input and maintenance of bill of materials and routers, item costing and sell pricing.
- Review material requirement reports to determine inventory requirements
- Determine if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when necessary.
- Compare prices, specifications, and delivery dates in order to determine the best bid among potential suppliers.
- Prepare purchase orders and send copies to suppliers and to departments originating requests
- Contact suppliers in order to schedule or expedite deliveries and to resolve shortages missed or late deliveries, and other problems.
- Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancellations.
- Review requisition orders in order to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications.
- Locate suppliers, using sources such as catalogs and the internet, and interview them to gather information about products to be ordered.
- Identify areas to reduce costs to the company, such as evaluating costs of purchasing from various suppliers to arrive at the best deal.
- Monitor contractor performance, recommending contract modifications when necessary.
- Maintains a filing system in the purchase department. Updates appropriate records when required.
- Prepare, maintain, and review purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Track the status of requisitions, contracts, and orders.
- Calculate costs of orders, and charge or forward invoices to appropriate accounts.
- Maintain knowledge of all organizational and governmental rules affecting purchases, and provide information about these rules to organization staff members and to vendors.
- Interact daily with vendors to obtain desired products
- Handle items to be returned to vendors on a timely basis
- Compare suppliers' bills with bids and purchase orders in order to verify accuracy.
Education, Experience and Skills Required: *
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a Purchasing environment.
- Experience in a manufacturing/distribution environment is required, preferably in a related industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in purchasing or business or equivalent experience.
- Experience with JDE/Oracle software is desirable.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive while recognizing and supporting the organization’s preferences and priorities.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with diverse personalities and individuals of all levels within and outside the organization.
- High energy level, comfortable handling multiple tasks in conjunction with day to day activities.
- Good reasoning abilities, sound judgment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Resourceful and well organized.
- Analytical capabilities including data analysis related to quote analysis and benchmarking.
- Ability to manage difficult suppliers and resolve disputes while preserving relationships with suppliers and internal staff.
- Problem solving ability in cross functional and multicultural environment.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
Job Type: Full-time
- Purchasing: 2 years (Required)